Requirements to work in regulated group child care - Prince Edward Island


Child care staff are certified according to the requirements of the license by facility type.  An early childhood centre requires a Type I License; a family child care home or school age child care centre requires a Type II license.

  • In Type I centres, the centre supervisor and one full-time staff member require at least a one-year Early Childhood Development diploma or equivalent. Depending on education and experience, an individual may be certified as an Early Childhood Program Staff or as an Early Childhood Supervisor. The centre supervisor is required to hold an EC Supervisor certificate.
  • In Type II centres, the supervisor and one staff person require successful completion of one unit of continuing education (defined as a one-semester relevant university/college course) and provide two supporting letters of reference.